Wednesday, January 19, 2011

If Wishes Were Horses...!!

It's been exactly two months since I left my job and took a sabbatical to write the book (whose title I am yet to finalize). I can see for myself the remarkable progress made on the book in terms of quantitative as well as qualitative output. Not only is the output more prolific, but it is also more focussed and well-organised and, more importantly, it is much better in quality. The statistics will tell the whole story: 7,000-plus words in 2 months since I quit my job, as against 9,000-odd words in 5 years or so (from 2005 when the idea was born to Nov. 2010 when I quit).
The reason is simple: I have all the time in the world to read whole lot of books, articles and other reference material (collected over a period of over 30 years) or browse the web and access the entire universe of knowledge made available by Google; then duly understand, assimilate and introspect over whatever I have read; and, then, finally pen down all that gets distilled and keeps popping up in my mind all the time. This goes on without any distractions, worries or tensions {Correction: Exceptions being four distractions in a day (from my better-half, of course!) for morning breakfast & coffee, lunch, evening coffee and dinner....I cannot thank her enough for these distractions - although mundane and routine her work is supposed to be - but the truth is: her distractions keep me going!}
How I wish I had begun working full time on the book when the idea was born in 2005...! (in which case the book would have been out by 2008).
Ah...well, as they say, if only wishes were horses......!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment